Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Random Thoughts

After reading over my last post, I realized that I'm going to have to do something to keep this from being boring. As a boring guy, this will no doubt be a constant challenge, so bear with me. I was thinking one way to mix things up would be to start every post with some randomness - anything that comes to mind.

Since i have no idea when I'm going to get around to posting my "Top 10" College Baseball Uniforms, I wanted to give props to Vanderbilt University for this uni:


Not bad at all. I do think it's a joke that when u click on a pic you are prompted to buy it on their "official website." I expected a little more from the 'Stanford of the Southeast.' Skip (Bayless) please tweet your Alma mater and tell them to get over themselves (no one is gonna pay for a Vandy baseball pic unless it's signed by David Price.)

Also, before all you big-brained snobs get too big-headed, there is also this:


Georgia Tech called, and they want their uni's back. And btw, I really hate this "flat gold" color. Let's take one of the most powerful colors, water it down, then try to contrast it with white?

[  ]  good effort Vandy.

Also, memo to Vandy, I'm going to take a full-point deduction from every uniform that you have (even the super-cool one at the top of the page) for your ridiculous/outdated basketball venue, Memorial Gymnasium. Congrats on the new video board though.


As I was selecting the "Top 10" current MLB Uniforms, I couldn't help but think back to this. Possibly the coolest uni of all-time.


Worn here in true 80's style by my man Frank White. For those of you fortunate enough to be too young to remember how we wore our unis in the 80's, note the tight pants, mid-calf height, with the stirrups pulled up high - so only a straight line shows.

Oh and before I forget, I'm so sick of seeing MLB teams wear throwback uniforms in the current style (as it relates to fit.)  If you can't be bothered to wear it like it was originally worn, then don't wear it at all. I don't expect a 24 year old player to know how we wore the unis in the 80's, but there is google for reference.

Ok, just one more random thought. My mention of the "Stanford of the Southeast" reminded me (unfortunately) of this:

 
Carlos Quentin (circa 2002)

In my 1st post, I listed 5 criteria that I use to compile a score, which determines the rankings of the teams listed in my MLB "Top 10." One of my 5 criteria is "Tradition," meaning the importance of not significantly altering the design of a good original uniform.

By no means did I intend to suggest that any franchise, school or other team should be bound to a uniform that has serious deficiencies. The uniform above, gracefully worn by the quick-tempered, mound-charging Mr. Quentin, is a textbook example of a classic uniform faux pas. Can you spot it?

Spoiler: A pull-over top should never be worn with a belted (or non-elastic waistband) pant. This terribad look was semi-popular at some point in the 80's, so it may not be entirely fair to single out Stanford as my example. The problem is that Stanford has not yet gotten around to correcting this mistake. I'm sure it's on their list since during the time since this guy

wore the cardinal and white pullover, they have changed their school nickname, burned through 8 head football coaches and built a new football stadium.

I'm sure it's on their list.

Next post: Bottom 5 MLB Uniforms


No comments:

Post a Comment